Today’s guest is Jess Ostroff the founder and director of Don’t Panic Mgmt. Her official title is Director of Calm, and Don’t Panic Mgmt is a full-service virtual agency that offers travel booking, event planning, market research, blogging, social media, and everything in between. The real goal of Don’t Panic Mgmt is to give entrepreneurs and business people the free time to focus on what they do best and leave the stress of day to day tasks to Jess and her team. Jess realized early on in life that she valued freedom, flexibility and location independence. She also had the foresight to start Don’t Panic Mgmt right out of college. She now gets to help people while building something for herself at the same time.
Jess contributes her success to being open to different jobs and work experiences. She noticed work inefficiencies at some organizations. She discovered Jay Baer during idle time at a non-profit she was working at. She ended up working for him part- time and soon realized that she didn’t have to have passion for every task, but she did have passion for the bigger purpose of helping people and building something that would enable her to have the freedom she wanted. Jess believes that just because you have a passion it doesn’t have to be your business. She also realizes that being an entrepreneur is not for everyone. It can be hard work, and it can be lonely. There is no one telling you what to do. She says,“that’s the difference between successful people and not as successful people, because successful people hold themselves accountable even when nobody else is.”
- Find out how Jess’s desire to be in charge of her own life led to a successful business.
- Understand how really helping people will improve your value.
- How your passion does not necessarily have to be your job.
- Learn that your greater purpose can be your passion and work accordingly.
- Know that the hardest thing about being an entrepreneur is that nobody tells you what to do.
- Chasing happiness is not the answer, but being content with a passion for purpose is.
- Learn how to deal with influencers and use ego to your advantage.
- Understand you can’t please everyone, and not every client is for you.
If you would like to contact Jess you can send her an email or hit her up on Twitter @jessostroff. If you are interested in the fun happy-hour stuff, you can find her on Instagram @jessostroff. If you are at a time in your life where you are in pivot mode or just want to read Jess’s favorite book you can find Body of Work by Pam Slim on Amazon.